Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Mod Podge Bicycle Helmet

Check out this Recycled bicycle helmet!  I purchased this helmet for 75 cents at a garage sale this past weekend.  I found this fabulous project on page 31 in "MOD PODGE ROCKS!"  I just had to try it!

Top view of the helmet.  My 8 yr. old granddaughter Genevieve picked out the fabric at Hobby Lobby.  I purchased 1 yard of fabric.  WAY TOO MUCH fabric!  Probably 1/3 or less yard of fabric would suffice! LOL

"MOD PODGE ROCKS" by Amy Anderson was my inspiration!  I first saw this book at Manglesen's a local Omaha, NE craft store.  I had $20 in Manglesen's free money!  So this book was totally FREE! For those of you who don't live in Omaha....I have found this book at Hobby Lobby!

The fabric was prepared according to directions on page 12.  Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge onto the fabric using a foam brush.  Allow to dry.  This will enable you to cut the fabric like paper without worrying about frayed edges.  Cut rectangles of various sizes from the fabric, cutting enough to cover the helmet.  It requires you to use "Outdoor Mod Podge", however, I didn't have any "Outdoor Mod Podge" on hand so I used the "Matte Mod Podge".  I will update you at a later date if Matte Mod Podge can stand up to outdoor wear and tear!

I'm pleased with the final product!  I hope you are inspired to recycle!  If you're in Hobby Lobby, flip through the inspiring Mod Podge Rocks! book.  I plan to re-cycle an old suit case that I found at a previous garage sale using Mod Podge!  I'm so excited!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the way it turned out!!! Makes me want one!!!

Froggie said...

Neat!

Pink Cricut said...

this is so Awesome!!! :) Love how it turned out!